What day is it? How long has it been?
It’s New Year’s Day! We beat the 2020 end boss and now we’re here at the loading screen. We can either play a new game entirely and reboot the universe or we can click on NG+.
I’m all in favor of rebooting the universe but I’m not sure that would work out well for everyone. Instead, we click on NG+.
Here are our Starting Conditions for our RNG Seed for 2021. Since one thing 2020 taught us, we’re not only all stuck in a big, weird simulation, it’s a simulation that uses weird procedural generation to cough up random events like murder hornets – your algorithm for such may vary.
- We elected Joe Biden to the Presidency, even though he has yet to leave his basement in Delaware.
- We have multiple vaccines floating around out there!
- No thermonuclear exchanges.
- Some of my various interests are returning back to life.
- My knitting game is way more badass now because what else do you do during the pandemic?
That is, frankly, better than nothing which is where 2020 sat from March 19th until maybe around November 10th. For a long time, the only thing good in the world was nothingness.
- People are dying at the rate of a 9/11 a day now. And no one seems to notice or care. We’re all numb. 1M+ hospitalized, 340K dead.
- And oh hey, there’s now a more infectious version of COVID-19 running around! Sweet!
- Vaccine rollout is Trump-era stupid. See? NG+.
- Highly entitled morons who, through their jobs as first-line responders, got access to the vaccine are refusing it. I mean… what? Really. What? WHAT? Jesus Christ, if you don’t want it because you’re an idiot — I’m sorry to people who object to me calling these people idiots but they are idiots — please give it to someone else and quit your job. Get out of the way.
- Trump still someone believes that the election was “stolen” from him (but not from anyone else newly elected, just him) and for reasons that make little sense, he’s decided to enact a coup via the courts using the world’s dumbest legal team. None of it makes sense, he’s lost 60+ cases, but ok. You do you.
- Congress is going to screw around with the largely ceremonial counting of the votes on Jan 5th, also for no good reason. But it’s safe for them to do that because Mama Nancy and Papa Mitch will ensure nothing bad happens.
- I’m starting to understand Mitch McConnell and admire his Lawful Evil ways. This is not a good thing.
- We are all still locked in our goddamn houses.
- USPS imploded for Christmas. I am still missing packages.
- I had to change jobs, which interrupted everything. Swords of the Serpentine still isn’t out in hardcover. I kinda stopped writing much at all or creating anything.
- Still too fat despite exercising more and eating less.
That is the state of play. We’re set up to replay 2020 in some new horrible configuration.
Here are my very loose predictions:
- There will be more fires, more hurricanes, more murder hornets, more strangling snake plagues, more various inexplicable horrors. They will be worse than last year and hit more people. And it will suck.
- California will be on fire again.
- Biden will be inaugurated on January 20th but Trump will do something bizarre like have a renegade inauguration at Mar-A-Lago or something. But then, I know this is hard to believe – he will fade and fade fast. No, his adult children won’t have any sway. The Media covers him because he is POTUS. The Media will move on to the new shiny.
- We will be super bored with President Biden and have to find new hobbies other than doomscrolling. May I suggest photography?
- So much crazy will suddenly end we won’t know what to do with ourselves after 5 straight years of intense non-stop crazy. It’ll be quiet and kind of nice.
- Vaccine rollout will be a mess, and all us hoi polloi won’t even get a whiff of maybe access to a Vaccine until June. If we’re super lucky. It’s a long goddamn wait for access. But States will stand up vaccine trackers so we’ll have new websites to reload over and over.
- Expect more explosions around race and policing, harder, louder, and more insistent. That genie is not going back in the bottle.
- Masks will become a permanent thing. They aren’t going away. Flu season? Masks. Have the sniffles? Mask.
- None of us will ever go back to 5 days in the office ever again. Those days are over. Nor will there be tons of very expensive business travel. I’m seeing a permanent shift in the way we do things.
- Neither will we go to movie theaters, and it will be a long time before we do alot of the in-person things we want to do.
- Alot more AI doing weird AI things coming in 2021. Alot more.
- But the moment it is safe for me to do so, I’m going to Korean BBQ and doing all you can eat until I puke.
- I’ll probably pick up projects again.
Ugh. At least we have Animal Crossing.
By Fall of 2021 we will be crawling out of the mess, dazed, and assessing the wreckage. It’s possible that we’ll get a huge economic bounce in the Fall that will go into 2022 as pent up demand explodes. After all, after the Spanish Flu, we had the Roaring 20s and we had 10 years of absolutely insane growth until the Great Liquidity Trap of 1929. We might find ourselves surfing a crazy wave.
But the world will be a different place than what it was in February of 2020. That is the way of plagues. There is no going back, only going forward, and we will find a world forever changed. They are the bringer of change, the metamorphosis power that warps the world.
Into what? We’re going to find out the hard way.
Anyway. Happy New Year, Peeps. Remember to back up your save game file.
- 250,485,430 completed tests
- 19,715,030 positive cases
- 336,779 dead from COVID-19
- 276,662 cases in MD with 5,895 deaths
80,000 people will die by Inauguration Day.